Computer Numerical Control, also known as CNC, is a manufacturing process for small-scale production. The process is not very standard but, it is customized. It offers prototyping services for custom CNC parts. The CNC machine is applicable in various actions such as routing, mining, drilling, and instance machining. Moreover, this manufacturing process is most effective for projects, having less than ten copies of a part. There are many companies with expert engineers skilled at programming CNC machines. The CNC machining has mainly three software that works as a support system. They are as follows:
- Computer-Aided Design known as CAD
- Computer-Aided Manufacturing known as CAM
- Computer-Aided Engineering, known as CAE.
CNC machining process for custom CNC parts
- The CNC machine in, the first step designs the product’s parts using special CAD software. The designing and prototyping get enabled with the help of 3D drawings.
- The CNC machines have CAD-CAM packages, which help the same program flow right to the end. The CAD and CAM software needs to be the same. If they are not the same, the CAD file gets imported before preparing the model for the fabrication process through CAM.
- After this, the CAM software checks the model, if there is any error present or not. If the model comes out to be error-free, the CNC program gets created.
- Then comes the role of skilled engineers and technicians. They choose the correct parameters to manufacture high-quality parts. They apply the configuration of voltage and RPMs according to the product’s shape and the machines used.
- Besides this, the software handles the placement and orientations of the parts made by raw materials.
- The next step is the nesting process that maximizes the material used and reduces waste.
- After nesting, all the information is coded for the machine to read the directions. Then it starts producing the desired products.
- The CNC machine only needs digital files. The files must contain the cutting and tooling instructions according to the company’s desire.
The CNC machine applications
CNC machines produce commercial products from raw materials. The raw materials are mainly metals, wood, plastics, fibreglass or foam. The CNC machines can construct any geometric shape with high accuracy. Its predominantly found in the following industries:
- Electrical and electronic industries
- Food and bakery industries
- Beverage industries
- Automobile industries
- Aerospace industries
- Technology and security
- Industrial machining
- Clothing industries